Pedas are Indian dessert traditionally made with mawa with different flavorings like cardamom, saffron and others. The process of making pedas from mawa is a long process and time consuming, so here I have made these Pedas with ricotta cheese, milk powder and sugar and the for the flavoring I have used cardamom and few strands of saffron and garnish them with almonds.
It is a quick recipe which is prepared in no time. Do try it out these gorgeous beauties with your family. Let’s start with ingredients and recipe
- 15 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1.5 tablespoon Unsalted butter or Ghee
- 2.25 cups Milk Powder
- 1/4 cup Superfine Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon Saffron strands
- 1 teaspoon Milk (use only if the peda dough feels dry)
- Almonds (to garnish)
- Take heavy bottom pan, add unsalted butter/ghee once heated add ricotta cheese.
- Reduce heat to the low and mix properly and keep stirring occasionally to avoid sticking of ricotta cheese to the bottom of the pan. After few minutes ricotta cheese will turn into a liquid mixture.
- Keep stirring till all the liquid from the ricotta cheese is evaporated and it looks dry like a ball of dough. The whole process will take about 20-25 minutes. The mixture should be dry like a doughy consistency.
- Transfer the mixture to a big bowl and now mix in milk powder and sugar, cardamom powder and saffron strands and let the mixture be cool enough to touch. Once it is ready knead the peda dough till it’s smooth and forms a dough. Knead it well.
- Once the peda dough is ready. You can give them any shape of your choice. Here I have shape them in flatten rounds and garnished it with almonds.
- Milk powder when kneaded with warm (not hot) mawa/ricotta cheese loses its raw taste and blends in perfectly.
- 2. You can use any shape or design, garnishing and flavor of your choice.