What can be good than a homemade bread..Yes you heard it right wholewheat homemade bread. I tried so many recipes of whole wheat bread but somehow the texture was dense and we didn’t liked that much. After trying so many recipes of wholewheat bread by far this was the one we liked. This bread was light, has a very nice flavor. It is good for making sandwiches, toasts whichever way you like..! So without much delay let me share the recipe with you guys. Will experiments some more bread recipes and will share with you guys..
1 ¼ cups warm water
1 ½ teaspoons honey, or sugar
1 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons oil
1 ½ teaspoons salt
- In a large bowl, whisk the water, honey, and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes, until the yeast has bloomed.
- Pour in the wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oil, and salt, and mix until the dough comes together in a ball that does not stick to your fingers.*
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough a few times until it really starts to form a tight ball.
- Form the dough into a ball shape and transfer to a greased bowl, turning the dough to coat it in grease. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a wet towel and store in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Allow the dough to proof until it has doubled in size. Save the plastic wrap or towel as you’ll be using it again.
- Transfer the proofed dough to a lightly floured surface and press the dough – don’t stretch – into a 7×7-inch (18×18 cm) square.
- Fold the top 3rd of the square down, and the bottom 3rd up to form an even rectangle. Pinch the top fold to seal the dough.
- Roll the dough over so that the seal faces upward and fold both ends up toward the center, so that the dough has formed an even log shape about the size of your loaf pan.
- Transfer the dough to a greased loaf pan and cover with with the same plastic wrap or towel used before.
- Let the dough rise for 1 hour, until it has poofed over the edge of the loaf pan about 1½ inches (4 cm).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Remove the plastic wrap or towel and transfer to the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes, until the dough has browned slightly and formed a light brown crust.
- Immediately remove the loaf from the pan and set aside to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Store in an airtight container or bag. The bread can be stored in freezer up to 6 months.
a.) In this recipe you may want to use only whole wheat flour but when I tried making bread using whole wheat flour the bread came out to be dense, tough that barely rose when we tried to proof them. So i tried using some all-purpose flour gave my bread to rise and softness, pillowy texture which I wanted in a good sandwich bread.
b.) You can also do the first 2 steps in a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, mixing on low speed until the dough no longer sticks to the sides.