Hi, I will be sharing with you all the recipe of dhaba style Matar (Peas) Paneer(Indian Cottage Cheese). For some people who doesn’t know what dhaba is. “Dhaba is the name given to roadside restaurants in India. They are on highways, generally serve local cuisine, and also serve as truck stops. They are most commonly found next to petrol stations, and most are open 24 hours a day.”
I just love Paneer because it blends really well with any other ingredients. I can eat paneer in any form like paneer curries, paneer parantha or paneer sandwich etc.
Peas and Paneer curry is one of the popular Indian recipe. And it’s my husband’s favorite.😊
This is not a restaurant style paneer, it is typically dhaba style so the preparation is bit different but trust me it tastes really awesome. The preparation of dhaba style has no cream, cashews etc. On the other hand in restaurants they use lot of cream, cashews to make the gravy richer and heavier.
I like this style of matar paneer because it is light, easy to prepare and taste amazing.
Let’s start with the recipe of Matar Paneer
- 1 mid size Onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves of ginger
- 2-3 green chillies
- half inch ginger
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 200 gms Paneer(cubes)
- 1 cup boiled Peas
- 2 tsp Gram flour
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp saunf
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp butter (optional)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 cups of water
- In a blender add tomatoes, green chillies, ginger and garlic. Blend all the things till it becomes a smooth mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds, asafoetida and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add chopped onion and cook on a medium flame until it turns golden brown.
- Now add turmeric powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato, ginger and garlic mixture and add salt. Cover the pan and cook until oil starts to separates from the gravy. It will take approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Now add dry powdered masala and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add peas in the gravy and cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add some water, cover the pan and cook the peas for another 3-4 minutes.
- Almost gravy is ready now.
- Add Paneer and water and cook for few minutes.
- Add cumin powder and garam masala and cook it on low flame for 5 minutes. So it will give a nice flavor.
- Lastly add dried fenugreek leaves in the curry.
- Matar Paneer (dhaba) style is ready.
- Serve it hot with Naan, Roti, or any bread of your choice.
Do try it and share your experience.